The county was created by the Georgia General Assembly December 15, 1853, from a part of Baker County. It was named after Charles Dougherty a respected judge and lawyer from Athens Georgia. In 1854 and 1856 small areas were added from Worth County. Albany is the county seat, located on the Flint River, which was originally the chief means of transportation for shipped products. Albany was later served by seven railroad lines, adding to its significance as a market center.
G1-- Printed Date May 20, 1862 -- Chain Links top and bottom -- scroll design on left -- No imprint