The county seat is Sandersville. The county was established on February 25, 1784. It was named for Revolutionary War general (and afterward President of the United States) George Washington. The county has a total area of 684 square miles, of which 678 square miles is land and 5.9 square miles (0.9%) is water.
G10-- Printed Date July 1, 1866 -- Indian on the left and Oglethorpe on the right - Old Building as center Vignette - Imprint: R.H. Howell Savannah